Budget Bug Out Vehicle Project Pt 3
Im getting some great emails and comments about this series of posts and the biggest question is why am I doing this?
I have a job, a house and a life, and I spend my time like all of us looking for things to do with my time when Im not here writing or working. Like all of you I have bills, and limited amounts of free cash.
I was watching a TV show and it was about 1 guy on a hunting adventure which was supposed to be a DIY hunt across the US. At the start I thought it was a cool idea. I could do that.
Then I looked at the web page for the show, and started doing the math.
The guy is either rich or has awesome sponsor’s. I don’t fault him for either, I wish I had awesome sponsor’s in fact.
But the average guy with a family and mortgage is not going to have over $100,000 in vehicles just for his trip. That is realistically way outside the area of feasibility for the average family prepper.
I started looking at what he had, and I realized I had the same basic vehicle, and it was mine and mine alone. I could do what ever I wanted as long as it didn’t break the bank on my end.
And the normal family man could do the same in the scope of small mods as the normal maintenance gets done.
Todays post is about the engine.
The Toyota V6 is a solid motor. So solid in fact there are many on the road after 10-15 years and continue to run with oil changes, tune ups and basic maintenance.
After research and much contemplation I settled on very few mods to the motor.
The only thing I saw a need for was more air. So I ordered a K&N 63-9025 AirCharger Performance Air Intake System. I also bought the K&N RF-1042DR Red Air Filter Wrap.
I bought these as well as every other thing bolted on with my very own money. No outside samples or freebies here.
Looking at the Air Charger when it arrived I saw a confusing pile of parts and what looked like directions to find the Truth. I am happy to say with very little issue and only 1 nut being a pain due to the small space it was in the kit went in without issues or drama.
First the disassembly of the existing air filter and intake. This is a nut and bolt procedure, no problems at all. The mass airflow sensor was the most complicated and it was 2 screws and a cable connector. Easy peasy
This install added about 3-5 mpg increase as well as an advertised 10 Hp. Im not sure about that but it does have more power to the drive train and acceleration is much better.
Total time to remove the stock air intake and swap out the Air Charger was 2 hours. Worth the time and money